Tuesday, June 16, 2015

protection blanket

 
I made hold me  in 1993

It was one of the first pieces I made to protect me.

Making it caused me to realize how much I'd come to rely on quilt making to help me get through difficult personal situations.

I have little control of events that happen to those I love, but I can control my art.
I can find beauty - even create beauty, while chaos happens all around me.

'when you consider something like death, then it probably doesn't matter if we try too hard are awkward sometimes or care for one another too deeply"  Diane Ackerman

3 comments:

  1. This cloth is indeed a protector, a talisman, a keeper of history and herstory, a dairy, a life saver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the story

    you get born
    you grow up
    you go through puberty
    you fall in love
    you have children
    you worry about them being safe
    you die.

    Quilts are connected to the bed and the bed is connected to the story.

    ReplyDelete

I hope that we can have a conversation about creation. Thank you for taking interest. x