Friday, February 13, 2015

not working

What I wanted to do was make an amazing wall hanging to show my class EVERY technique in the meditation panels. I hoped that I could use the black and white bits I used as teaching samples over the last year. 

It's just not working.   I have learned that it's too hard to make a meditative piece with so many odd shapes, sizes, and with such extreme value contrast.

I suppose that it is good to 'discover' this.  It reinforces my thesis that repetition of mark and limited palette are the way to create a meditative piece.

It also shows me how important is the design wall.

6 comments:

  1. Is it okay to say that I'm relieved? Will you love me anyway if I tell you that "cacophony" is the word that came to mind every time I gazed upon this piece? I did, however, watch with bated breath knowing that if anybody could bring soothing, harmonious resolution to this piece it's you. And indeed you did, though maybe not in the way you'd first intended. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS And this right here is why I'm smitten with your process posts. Thank you for not always being perfect on the first try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I debated with myself about whether to show it.

      Delete
    2. Though there are many things begging my attention now that I'm back after 3 weeks of gone, I chose to stitch today. Whilst listening to The Paper Garden by Molly Peacock, there's this: "Sometimes a blunder shifts the observer into greater tenderness of observation." xxx

      Delete
    3. Thank you.
      I'm going to read The Paper Garden next. x

      Delete
  3. I remember commenting once upon a while ago that it's the repetition of what I consider to be your signature stitches that I find so soothing, captivating, appealing. The repetition anchors me, gives me a security that allows my thoughs, observations, and felt responses to romp freely without fear of ambush.

    ReplyDelete

I hope that we can have a conversation about creation. Thank you for taking interest. x